Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Satan stirs the Jews up against Each Other

Commentary by: Bible Track

As a fellow pastor frequently says, "It's not the money, it's the money!"

What else does Satan have in his bag of tricks to stop the work on the wall?

How about bickering within...over money! Some of the Jews begin poor mouthing against their Jewish brethren about how tough the times are because of their wall-building effort. Attack from outsiders is one thing, but what about when your own relatives are giving you fits about your service to God?

It was REALLY a struggle between the rich and the poor among the Jews. It appears that the financially-challenged Jews were losing their property (and kids) to the more financially astute Jews. There was also an issue of interest being paid to fellow Jews (a violation of Mosaic Law), not to mention the cost of taxes paid back to the Persians.

Bottom line - it was about the money. An internal struggle within the community of God's people - Satan loves it! As we see here, it's one of his tried and proven techniques.

The solution? Recognition of priorities - just that simple. When we recognize the methods of the devil, Satan has a tougher row to hoe.

This dissension particularly disturbs Nehemiah (he was the governor); he blew his top.

When the smoke had cleared, that old tried and proven tactic of turning God's people on each other had failed. Nehemiah, as their governor, had motivated the people right through and past this period of selfishness. They all make some financial concessions so that the work of God can continue.

2 comments:

  1. I read SEVERAL commentaries before I saw this one, but when I saw it, I knew it was the one that I wanted to post today. I think we (or at least, I) sometimes get so caught up in the issue that I forget to step back and remember that Satan is the one stirring up the issues that I get so caught up in. I know, for me, if I can remember that it is Satan, then I can look at the situation from SUCH a different angle...and go to the right places for resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the thing to watch for is, to recognize Satan's wiles, but to not blame those he uses. I've known lots of really strong Christians who've let down their guards or who let their humaness run amuck and Satan has a field day using them.
    It's kind of like that hate the sin, but love the sinner thing. I find that really difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete