Sunday, February 7, 2010

Oh My Goodness!

Nehemiah 2:9-10 Then I went to the governors in the region beyond the River, and gave them the king’s letters. Now the king had sent captains of the army and horsemen with me. When Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official heard of it, they were deeply disturbed that a man had come to seek the well-being of the children of Israel.

Then I went: This is an example of Nehemiah’s godly leadership. He actually went – he traveled the 800 miles from Persia to Jerusalem to do the work of rebuilding the walls and the people.

i. Many people have a heart touched like Nehemiah’s. They may also have the heart for prayer, the wisdom, the vision, the plan and the faith of a Nehemiah - but they stop short of actually going out and doing what needs to be done for the goal to become a reality.

ii. Sometimes we substitute talking about something for actually doing it. It is one think to stand around with other believers and talk about doing some evangelism; praying about it, planning it, talking about it - it is another thing to actually go out and do it. God is in the doing of the thing.

iii. Our spiritual enemies don’t mind as long as all we do is plan and pray and talk; but when God’s people start doing something, they take notice.

Oh My Goodness! I have another blog: Bought for a Price - I posted on that site first thing this morning before I had read any of Nehemiah or thought about that I would be posting on here today.

As only God can do, this post and that post are SOOOOOOO intertwined....and, at least for me, exactly whated I needed to hear this morning.

Blessings to you on this Sunday morning...

Beth

5 comments:

  1. The blogs ARE connected! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. chuckle. uh-hmmm. Doing, not just taking. yes. a word for me, too.

    Interes ingt, God's set-up to keep us balanced, isn't it?

    He puts up opposing sets of princiiples kind of like guard rails on either side of a road. Veer too far in one direction and you hit and bounce back--or fall over the edge into excess and ineffectiveness.

    On one side is the need to pray, think, seek God and His timing before moving and on the other, is the need to move and to do, not just talk, think, seek, pray and plan. chuckle.

    These opposite guides, keep us right smack dab in the center of God's working, don't they?

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. typos. taLking not taking and interesting not interes ingt. sigh. too tired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb- The balance TOTALLY makes sense that you are talking about. I thought about the sub-title of the study when I read your post..."how prayer AND hard work can accomplish seemingly impossible things".

    ReplyDelete
  5. What!! We're supposed to do something??!!

    ReplyDelete