Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Nehemiah 1 - Confidence In God's Promises

I do have several commentaries I'm reading, however, I really like this sermon series from the Pontiac Church. Don't worry. I will use more sources - yes, even in chapter 1. There's some really cool, Beth Moore, stuff coming up in a few days.

But for now, back to the Pontiac Church....

While Nehemiah spends time in confession, he doesn’t wallow in a prolonged introspective examination of his failures and those of his brothers and sisters. He owns what he did wrong and then he quickly expresses confidence in God’s promises in verses 8-10: “Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my name.’ They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and mighty hand.”

In this part of his prayer, Nehemiah recalls the words of Moses about the danger of Israel’s apostasy (if you're like me you don't know what this word means - just in case, I looked it up. It means abandonment of one's religion ) and the promise of divine mercy.

What was the promise Nehemiah was getting at? It was twofold.

First, if Israel disobeyed, they would be sent to a foreign land. That had been fulfilled. The second part was that when the captivity was over God would send them back to Jerusalem. They were still waiting for that to be fulfilled.

Nehemiah prayed, “Lord, the first part is true. We’ve disobeyed and we’re in captivity. But Lord, you’ve made a promise to bring us back home and protect us there – and that has not happened yet. I’m claiming your promise that you’ll make it happen.”


Someone has calculated that there are over 7,000 promises in the Bible. The better we know the Word of God, the better we’ll be able to pray with confidence in God’s promises.

1 John 5:14 says, “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.”

Are you as confident of God’s promises as Nehemiah was? If God said it in His Word, you can believe it and claim it. Nehemiah knew God would keep His covenant of love with his people.

My prayer for each of us that we believe it and claim it!

2 comments:

  1. I've been away..so catchin up. Just want to say that I love the caution not to be overly introspective--but also to examine yourself, discover your error, face it and repent. Too often we (I) get stuck in either wallowing in our 'repentance' or denying that we have anything from which to repent. God's balance rules! :D Deb

    ReplyDelete